Dan Wyand, PT & Associates
Celebrates 35 Years in Business!
Dan Wyand, PT, graduated from the University of Vermont in 1975 with a degree in Physical Therapy. He grew up living next door to Dr. Sam Feitelberg, who was head of the Physical Therapy program at UVM. When Dan started at UVM, Dr. Feitelberg convinced him that he should consider Physical Therapy as a major. It didn't take Dan long to realize that this advice was perhaps the best he'd ever receive.
After graduation, Dan worked at the VA in White River Junction for 6 years, where he made lifelong friendships and gained a wealth of knowledge from interns and residents who rotated through the VA's affiliation with Dartmouth Medical Center stating, "it was a great learning environment."
Dan left White River Junction to join a physical therapy practice here in St. Johnsbury. Not long after moving, the head physical therapist left the area and that provided Dan with the opportunity to open his own practice. At that time Dan's office was to the right as one enters the main lobby; he, a secretary and an aide made up the department. Radiology bordered the department, and there was no orthopedist when Dan arrived. When Dr. Gagnon arrived, he and Marti Erwin shared Dan's office while their building was built at 41 Sherman Drive.
Needing more space, the hospital bought the building Dan's office is currently located in from doctors Cyndi Stanton & Stan Livingston . Starting out, Dan worked Monday through Friday until 8 pm and every other weekend until he could hire additional staff. He received great support from Dr. Gagnon, Dr. Houle and Dr. Neel. In the last 35 years Dan has developed strong professional relationships with orthopedists and primary care physicians throughout the region, providing him with the opportunity to help more people rehabilitate from their injuries.
In an attempt to keep the focus of the business on patient care, Dan has built a complimentary crew of 24 employees between the St. Johnsbury and Lyndon office (attached to the Corner Medical Office). Please check out our Staff page to learn more about Dan's staff!
Although he believes that one has to be a generalist for Physical Therapy in our area, Dan has added subspecialties to cover patient needs and provide integrated care: lymphedema management; working with Women's Wellness around pelvic pain and incontinence; maternity (pre and postpartum physical issues); ergonomic workups and analysis; industrial rehabilitation; orthotic devices for foot and ankle; thermoplastic splints for extremities; collaboration with local dentists for those with TMJ; collaboration with cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation; monthly (2nd Tuesday) free informational meetings from 4-5 for anyone interested in exploring the option of a joint replacement; a minimally supervised program (2-3x per week) where committed patients can work on the equipment to continue with training and strength.
According to Dan, there's nothing like seeing people succeed, taking self-management and responsible self-care to the next level. When people recover from surgeries, accidents or body wear and tear, he and his employees celebrate their patients' success. When discussing his experience here he states, "It's an amazing place to live. The people I meet each day are strong and determined. They have their own experiences and challenges that brought them into our office. We try to offer them guidance and support and hope to make the journey a little easier."
The following are some recent comments from grateful patients:
- Dan, Thanks so very, very much – you're the very best. So good to see you. Jane
- Sara goes above and beyond her duties to help. She is friendly during the visit, makes things easier, explains everything in detail, and always asks if I have questions. Nancy
- Megan is patient and very professional. She has helped me to achieve the goals for my new left knee. Anonymous
- Felicia has gone above and beyond in order to schedule appointments for me. Her diligence has been a huge blessing to me. Yvonne
- Bud is an excellent trainer! Bud pushes me to challenge my conditioning work. He always checks my form, tolerance and status. Caring galore! Alicia
- Dan Wheeler always goes above and beyond what he has to do. Always friendly and knowledgeable. I was very happy with him. He restored my faith in PT. Anonymous
- Mike is fabulous, professional, caring supportive, and not afraid to push a little if that is what it takes to improve. I would not be where I am today in my recovery journey without him. His constant good mood and friendly smile are always encouraging. Anonymous
- I came to Kelly for my back, and my back is the best it's been in years. Thanks. Anonymous
Dan is quick to praise his staff and their ability to work as a team on behalf of the patients. In addition to working collaboratively with healthcare providers in numerous ways, he is very grateful to Paul Bengtson and Bob Hersey – "they've been the most supportive advocates in assisting us to provide great patient care in our community."